Looking for Answers? View IJD Inspections’ Helpful Homeowner Hints

Serving Central Alberta

We’re easily accessible in Red Deer

All of Your Questions about Permits Answered

Have questions about permits? IJD Inspections Ltd. has taken the time to gather answers to some of the questions we hear the most from our customers in Central Alberta. Should you not find the answer to a specific question listed below or on our Building Hints, Electrical Hints, Plumbing/Gas Hints or Private Sewage Hints pages, you are more than welcome to contact us and speak to one of our knowledgeable staff members directly.

General Questions

Q. What is the cost of my permit? 

A. Permits can vary depending upon the type and the type and size of the project involved. Please contact us for current rates. Permit fees include all costs associated with the permitting and inspection process. Permits are GST-exempt.

Q. What types of permits might I need? 

A. Types of permits include building, electrical, plumbing, gas and private sewage disposal systems. The Alberta Safety Codes Act requires that installations of these types be covered under a permit and that they must be inspected. IJD Inspections Ltd. offers inspection services in Central Alberta.

Q. I am building a new house and the municipality has issued the development permit. Do I need any other permits? 

A. In addition to the development permit, other permits are required such as building, electrical, gas, plumbing and private sewage permits. These permits ensure that your construction is completed in accordance with provincial codes and the Safety Codes Act. Building without the proper permits and inspections can also lead to costly repairs in the future.

Q. I am a homeowner acting as a general contractor for my new home. I want to take out all of the permits myself, but I will be hiring tradespeople for most of the work. Is this acceptable? As a homeowner, am I allowed to take out a permit for my contractor who is doing the work? 

A. As the homeowner, you may take out all of the necessary permits. However, the people contracted to complete the installations should take out their own permits.

Q. After my permit is issued, how long is it valid? 

A. Typically, permits are valid for one year, provided it is not abandoned for more than 120 days and work must commence within 90 days of permit issuance.

Q. How do I know when to call for an inspection? 

A. If you’re seeking a new single-family residential homeowner permit for building, electrical, gas, plumbing or private sewage disposal systems, view our helpful hints about when to call for inspections.

Q. What are the minimum cover requirements for gas lines? 

A. Minimum Cover Requirements (*Note: Minimum cover means the distance between the top surface of the conductor, cable, raceway or conduit and the finished grade.)

Gas Lines-Minimum Cover 

Non-vehicular Areas


Vehicular Areas


Q. What are the minimum distance requirements for septic or sewage holding tanks? 

A. Minimum Distance Requirements

Septic Tanks or Sewage Holding Tanks shall not be located within:

  • 1m (3.25’) from any property line or building
  • 10m (33’) from any water source or water course

No part of the Disposal Field measured from any part of a trench shall be located within:

  • 1.5 (5’) from any property line
  • 15m (50’) from any water source or water course
  • 5m (17’) from a septic tank or package treatment plant
  • 10m (33’) from any basement, cellar or crawl space
  • 1m (3.25’) from any non-basement building or one that does not have a permanent foundation
  • 5m (17’) from a building that has a permanent foundation but no basement, cellar or crawl space

No part of a Treatment Mound shall be located within:

  • 3m (10’) from any property line
  • 15m (50’) from any water source or water course
  • 3m (10’) from a septic tank
  • 10m (33’) from any basement, cellar or any non-basement building

An Effluent Discharge to the ground surface shall not be located within:

  • 50m (165’) from any water source
  • 45m (150’) from a water course or from a building
  • 90m (300’) from any property line

A Lagoon that serves a single dwelling or duplex shall not be located within:

  • 100m (330’) from any water source or water course
  • 45m (150’) from a building
  • 30m (100’) from any property line

Note: All measurements shall be taken from the outside of the Berm, where the side slope of the Berm intersects with the natural grade.

On a property that adjoins a permanent body of water such as a lake, river, stream or creek, the Effluent Disposal component of a private sewage system shall be located:

  • Not less than 90m (300’) from the shore of the body of water or
  • Where a principal building is located between the system and a body of water, the distance may be reduced to the minimum distance requirements for that method of treatment and disposal.

Septic Tanks for Houses and Duplexes 

Number of


3 or less


Minimum working capacity of

Septic Tanks in Litres (gallons)

3360 (740 IG)

4260 (940 IG)
5200 (1150 IG)
6130 (1350 IG)

Home Safety Tips 

Looking for home safety tips? View these helpful home safety hints from Alberta Municipal Affairs.

IJD Inspections Ltd.

5560 45 Street, #E4, Cronquist Business Park

Red Deer, AB T4N 1L1







Toll-Free Fax



Monday – Friday: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed

Send to a friend

Send the url of this page to a friend of yours

Copyright IJD Inspections Ltd. 2018 - Legal
Created by

Legal notice